Risotto is a very versatile dish. You can experiment and add different vegetables or meat. Try adding mushrooms and asparagus instead of the tomatoes and carrot.
1 1/2 pints of Vegetable Stock
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
250g Arborio rice
50g Parmesan Cheese
1 small tin of peas, drained
1 Carrot, peeled and choppedinto small pieces
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and about half of the stock. Keep stirring until the rice has absorbed some of the liquid.
- Add the tin of tomatoes.
- Keep adding the rest of the stock, bit by bit, stirring slowly. Let the rice absorb most of the stock before adding more liquid but dont let it completely dry out.
- After about 20 minutes, add the tin of peas.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese. The Risotto should have a creamy consistency but the rice should be slightly firm inside.
- Serve and impress all your housemates!